Get Military Discounts on Amtrak Trains
Amtrak can take you across a city or around the country as you sit and watch the passing scenery and enjoy a snack or some coffee. If you don’t want to deal with directions or rush hour traffic or if you simply want to relax while you get to where you’re going, Amtrak is a great alternative mode of transportation.
Military & Veterans Discounts
- Military Personnel Can Save 10% PLUS Get Ahead of the Ticket Line
- Military personnel with an active-duty identification card can get an additional 10% off the lowest rates on most Amtrak trains for both themselves and their families.
- To use this discount, select the ‘military’ option in the Fare Finder for each person to whom it applies.
- Amtrak welcomes military personnel in uniform to the head of the ticket line.
- The military discount cannot be used with Saver Fares or for business class, first class, or private overnight accommodations.
- The military discount cannot be used on weekday Acela Express trains, on certain Amtrak Thruway connections, or for travel into Canada.
- The military discount may not be valid with other discounts.
- Further restrictions may apply. Get additional information on the military discount program, with terms and conditions included.
- Some discounts may be available for multi-ride tickets, which allow you to take multiple trips using one ticket within a set amount of time.
- If you are a frequent user of Amtrak services, join the Amtrak Guest Rewards loyalty program and earn 2 points per dollar spent, a 25% point bonus for business class travel, or a 50% point bonus for Acela First Class.
- Veterans, seniors, children, and others may be eligible for discounts as well.
- Click on this map in the region in which you will be traveling for a list of current promotions for the area.
- Read the terms and conditions for all offers and services.
- Read policies for cancellations, refunds, exchanges, lost tickets, missed connections, luggage, children and unaccompanied minors, and pets and service animals.
- Buy an eTicket that doesn’t require printing and can be modified as needed online or on the phone in addition to at the ticketing booth.
- Book in advance when possible, especially if using premium services.
- Find a station and get information on directions, hours of operation, and services.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled departure, or earlier if you must check in luggage, anticipate crowds, or plan to ride the Auto Train.
- Take advantage of the Café Car, Dining Car, or Quiet Car while on board to satisfy your hunger, socialize, or get work done.
- Amtrak will accommodate the needs of those with disabilities/dietary restrictions.
- Arrival times are not guaranteed, so allow some flexibility in your planning.
- Some routes have a higher likelihood of delays. Check the reliability of your intended route by searching its on-time performance.
- Sign up for delay notification texts or emails if traveling without a reservation or if others will be picking you up. Passengers with will receive scheduling alerts.
- View and print a map that shows the main attractions for your destination.